I’M CURRENTLY ON THE WAY HOME FROM SOUTH DAKOTA TO NEW YORK AND I COULDN’T BE HAPPIER!
I hope you read that in a loud voice either in your head or shouted it out loud because that’s incredibly representative of how I sound. My summer in South Dakota wasn’t what I expected so I’m ready to have a typical summer on Long Island, or at least enjoy what’s left of it. Despite the bashing August got in Corey’s post yesterday, I couldn’t be happier! It’s mostly due to the fact that I get to attempt to gain experience toward my career goals. Oh yeah, AND HANG OUT WITH MY FRIENDS AND FAMILY! I really, really missed everyone, especially my pets. Sorry, humans, but it’s weird when you lick my face. Enough is enough.
Of course there are other things I miss about Long Island. And if you haven’t guessed it by now, I’m about to list them.
1. Cell phone service! Damn you, AT&T, for shutting down the ONE Verizon tower out here on the reservation. You’re not making any friends.
2. Not driving 2 hours to get everywhere! It’s just poor placement of my research site, but I’m in bumblefuck and it takes over an hour to get to a Wal-mart. Yeah, I’m basing this on how close the Wal-mart is. This is what it’s come to.
3. Bagels! What I wouldn’t do for a cinnamon raisin with vegetable cream cheese. And while we’re at it, I’d also (almost) kill for a sausage, egg and cheese on a kaiser roll. Someone make my day.
4. Sidewalks! Again, here in the boondocks sidewalks aren’t exactly high on the priority list. You’re either walking in the tall grass or the shoulder of the road, and neither is safe. But to be honest, I’m more afraid of the ticks in the grass than crazy drivers.
5. Traffic! Yes, I actually miss traffic. Mostly because I miss complaining about it, but traffic means you’re not too far from your destination, you’re just sitting in your car, in a lane, directly behind and in front of someone, listening to the radio for an unknown amount of time. And I miss it.
6. The beach! One of the best parts of living on Long Island is the convenience of being 15 minutes away from the ocean. We may have to deal with Jones Beach, but we avoid Field 4 like the plague.
7. Decent malls! I’m not actually allowed to go shopping considering my depleting bank account, but I really miss going to the mall, or target, or both since they’re connected (thank you, Broadway Mall).
8. Pizza! I have to say, there is a New York style pizza place in Rapid City, SD with decent pizza, and my neighbor made some amazing home-made pizza, but I’m ready for some legitimate New York pizza. Nothing really compares.
9. Dunkin Donuts! Unfortunately, DD has not branched out to South Dakota and that has been killing me. Sure, there are Starbucks, they’ve invaded all of the US, but it’s not the same. I love me an iced caramel latte from Dunkin’ and I’ll be damned if I don’t have one the second day I’m back home.
10. MY FRIENDS AND FAMILY AND PETS! Seriously. Yes, yes, I mentioned them earlier, but I REALLY miss everyone. There will be tears at my multiple reunions and they will all be beautiful as long as no one looks at my face.
So there you have it. I’m too excited to come up with more since I’M ONE DAY AWAY FROM BEING HOME! You hear that? I’M COMING HOME!
PS – I’M COMING HOME!